Fixing the Vee, Part 2

Ever since I rebuilt the Vee and its broken engine —using spare parts from two blown motors— in 2012, it had been running nice and strong until a few days ago when it started stumbling and hesitating, specially during take offs. So I took the tank off and inspected the throttle bodies; It turned out to be a clogged injector which was pretty easy to clean.




With the tank dismounted, I took the opportunity to run a quick compression test —which I never did when I rebuilt the bike— and I discovered that one piston's compression is on the lower spec limit and the other one is slightly under it.... and valves are within specifications. Dang. Anyone who knows me a little knows that I cannot live with a piece of machinery that is not performing as it should. Now I have three options:


  1. Reassemble everything and keep riding the snot out of it until it dies.
  2. Reassemble, sell and put a down payment for a shiny new bike.
  3. Go deeper. Dismount the engine and perform a thorough inspection. Dissect it, if necessary, and fix whatever needs to be fixed... and have a great time learning and wrenching while doing it.
Guess which one I picked ;)

About the author

I am a graphic designer, a linguist, a software developer and a marketer — in no particular order. I am also an avid motorcyclist who's extremely concerned about coming back home in one piece after each ride and spreading the word of safe riding habits among my fellow motorcyclists.
I have been teaching motorcycling for the last few years, first as hobby and now —professionally— as an instructor and instructor trainer for Total Control Training and the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.
The ideas and opinions expressed here are my own and may not reflect the philosophies of the organizations to which I belong.
Follow @OfirMX
Print Twitter delicious Digg StumbleUpon Reddit LinkedIn Blogger Google

Comments

- No comments have been published yet -